What To Do After A Car Accident
After a car accident your body and mind are shaken. There are plenty of emotions going through your head, and your body may be sore. It’s a natural reaction to the trauma.
We can help.
We are the Pickering Physiotherapy Institute rehabilitation team, and we specialize in soft tissue trauma recovery resulting from car accidents.
Car accident and whiplash specialists
Even a minor fender bender can cause great injury to the body. And many people don’t realize that even a low speed impact has the potential to create a whiplash injury. But it can, and it does.
Whiplash is the most common injury resulting from auto accidents. And if it’s not addressed properly it can lead to chronic pain and permanent injury. The pain of untreated whiplash can last for months, even years if left alone. That’s why you need to seek treatment from the Pickering Physiotherapy Institute as soon as possible after an auto accident.
Expert whiplash care
The Pickering Physiotherapy Institute team has established a unique program for whiplash treatment. Over the course of six to twelve weeks, the care givers at Pickering will:
- Provide a detailed assessment of the injuries associated with the accident and provide this information to your insurance company for coverage.
- Compile a treatment plan that addresses your special needs in whiplash recovery.
- Treatments including progressive exercises, postural alignment training, ultrasound, heat and ice application, lumbar support, massage therapy, acupuncture, acupressure, Transcutaneous Electrical Current (TENS), interferetntial current, supportive pillow, prescriptive home based exercises, taping, laser, and education to help you understand your body and your injuries.
- Progress and discharge reports.
Common signs of whiplash
You may not always associate symptoms of whiplash with the injury; many symptoms mimic lesser conditions, that’s the true danger of whiplash. Common symptoms include:
- Neck and back pain.
- Headaches and numbness or tingling in the arms and legs.
- Tight and stiff muscles.
- Decreased mobility.
- Sleep trouble.
- Difficulty concentrating
When you have pain in the neck, lower shoulders and the base of the skull and any other of the above symptoms after an accident, you may be suffering whiplash.
Whiplash recovery can occur in as little as a few weeks. But some sufferers report chronic pain from whiplash years after an accident. Between 70% and 80% of sufferers recover completely, but the remaining 20% to 30% often carry the burden of whiplash pain for years. And without prompt and effective whiplash care, you may be among the unfortunate percentages that suffer needless, chronic pain.
Plenty of myths surround whiplash injuries. From thinking that it’s a minor problem to considering treatment of whiplash a fraudulent claim for insurance, many excuses exist for not seeking treatment. But the fact of whiplash is that the pain is real, and the pain is treatable.
The Pickering Physiotherapy Institute knows the story. And we can help.
The first 24 hours are important ones in whiplash. Treatment often involves a course of action based on your doctor and physiotherapists findings. Within the first 24 hours you should:
- Ice the affected area.
- Take any prescribed anti-inflammatory or muscle relaxers.
- After the initial 24 hours you should:
- Perform gentle, active movements.
- Alternate between heat and cold packs on the affected area.
After an accident, the care you receive will affect your ability to return to your normal life. The physiotherapy team at Pickering Physiotherapy Institute is expert in the initial and long term treatment of whiplash due to an auto accident. We know how to heal, and we know how to help.
Insurance and billing
The Pickering Physiotherapy Institute accepts the following forms of payment:
- Great West Life
- Sun Life Financial
- Blue Cross
- Green Shield
- Standard Life
- Industrial Alliance
- The Equitable Life Insurance
- Wawanesa Life
- Empire Life
- The Co-Operators
Call us now for an appointment.